20 Bridgewater Rd
Ontario Tourism Region : Ontario's Highlands
- Actinolyte Pop. 119. In Hastings C. on the Skootamatta R., and Hwys 7 & 37 and C. Rd. 25, 36 km N of Belleville. Founded by Belleville lumber merchant Billa Flint, later a senator, the place was first named Troy.
- In 1858 the name was changed to Bridgewater. By 1864, mining for gold and marble had attracted more than 300 inhabitants. Wesleyan Methodist Church, now Actinolyte United Church, iS believed the only church in Canada built of marble.
- In 1883 Joseph James bought much of Flint's property and started open pit mines to produce actinolyte, which when mixed with coal tar, forms a roofing compound. In 1895 the community was renamed after the mineral.
- A major fire in 1889 destroyed much of the community which never fully recovered. Actinolyte was mined intermittently until the late 1920s.
- Wesleyan Methodist Church, now Actinolyte United Church, is believed to be the only church in Canada built of marble.
- The community hall is available for rent.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/actinolitehall