255 Metcalf St., Postal Bag 729
Ontario Tourism Region : Ontario's Highlands
- Pop. 1,572. In Hungerford T., Hastings C., on Stoco L., (an enlargement of the Moira R.) and Hwy 37 and C. Rd. 38,40 km NW of Belleville. Richard Woodcock was the first settler.
- He arrived in 1828 and the following year built a dam across the river. By 1830 Allan Munroe had built another dam and erected the first saw- and grist mill at the site.
- The place was first known as Hungerford Mills after the township. (Part of it had been surveyed in 1797 and named after Sir Francis Rawdon-Hastings, a leader in the American Revolution and a descendant of the Barons of Hungerford. )
- The Munroe mills changed hands a number of times, until they were acquired by James Jamison, a Scot who had traded his foundry business in Belleville for the mills and surrounding land.
- He divided the land into village lots and named the place Tweed after his hometown in Scotland. In 1967 Tweed residents elected what is believed to have been the first all-female council in Canada. The council lasted only one term.
Natural Resources Canada in Hastings County.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/tweedmunicipality