Ontario Tourism Region : Muskoka, Parry Sound and Algonquin Park
- TPop. 490. In Muskoka Lakes T., Dist. Mun. of Musk ok a, on Bala Bay of L. Muskoka and C. Rds. 38 & 169,25.5 km. NW of Bracebridge.
- . The first settler in 1868 was Thomas Burgess who used the falls on the Musquosh R. to operate a sawmill.
- The community was known as Musquosh Falls and then Muskoka, but was named Bala in 1871 after Bala Lake in Wales. In 1914 it was incorporated as a town without fIrst becoming a village, and was believed to have been Canada's smallest incorporated town.
- In 1971 Bala amalgamated with the villages of Port Carling and Windermere and the townships of Card well and Watt to form the T. of Muskoka Lakes.
- A provincial plaque at Bala describes the Pre-Cambrian Shield, one of the oldest rock formations in the earth's crust, which covers about two-thirds of the surface of Ontario.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/muskoka