33 Hurontario St.,
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
- Collingwood Pop. 16,000. In Nottawasaga T., Simcoe C., on Nottawasaga Bay off Georgian Bay and Hwy 26 and C. Rds. 32 & 124,63 km E of Owen Sound.
- The first settler was George Carney, who arrived in 1835 when the place was described by the Tobacco Indians as 'an impenetrable swamp.'
- The place was first known to settlers as Hen-and-Chickens Harbour because of one large and four small islands in the bay.
- The locale had four other names connected with it in early years: Hurontario, New Village, Nattawa, and Old Village. In 1853 Colling¬wood was named for a township, formerly in Simcoe C., which in turn was named after the English admiral,
- Lord Cuthbert Collingwood.
- In 1933 a non-sectarian, non-political international organization, the Associated Country Women of the World, was formed largely through the efforts of Margaret Watt, a native of Collingwood. She was elected the fIrst president of the association.
- Postcards above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email email@example.com
Natural Resources Canada in Simcoe County.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/collingwood