Ontario Tourism Region : Muskoka, Parry Sound and Algonquin Park
- Pop. 11,856. In Dist. Mun. of Muskoka, on the Muskoka R., Hwy 11 & C. Rd. 117, 55 km. N of OrilIia.
- . The townsite was discovered by John Bell in 1861. He named it North Falls, and when a mill was built the name was changed to North Mills.
- In 1864 Bracebridge was named by secretary of the post office department William Dawson LeSeur, after the book, Bracebridge Hall, by Washington Irving.
- Nearby Gravenhurst was also named after a place mentioned in the same book. One of Ontario's few remaining three-story octagonal houses, built in 1882 for mill owner Henry James Bird, now accommodates the Bracebridge Museum.
- Since 1956, Santa's Village, an amusement park 6 km. S of town, has delighted youngsters of all ages. Bracebridge Fall Fair has been held since 1867.
Natural Resources Canada in the District of Muskoka.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/bracebridgeontario