Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Kawartha and Northumberland
- Pop. 69. In Harvey T., Peterborough C., on C. Rds. 23, 36 & 507 between Buckhorn and Stony Ls., 30 km N of Peterborough.
- In 1828, Irish native John Hall, who was operating a successful business in the United States, bought land on both sides of the Buckhorn R.
- Within two years he built a dam, a saw- and grist mill, a bridge and homes for employees. The place became known as Hall's Bridge.
- Hall continued his business interests in the U.S. and did not move back to Canada until the l850s, when he settled permanently at Hall's Bridge.
- A post office was established in 1860 as Hall's Bridge and John Hall became postmastpostmaster.
- Hall was an avid hunter, proud of his prowess at killing game and mounted his trophies on the side of his mill for all to see.
- In 1941 the community's name was changed to Buckhorn because of the plentiful game in the area and Hall's collection of animal horns.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/buckhorn