Ontario Tourism Region : Hamilton, Halton, and Brant
Phone : (905) 634-5917
Your Host(s) : Canada Post Burlington
Description From Owner:
- Pop. 132,772. City in the Reg. Mun. of Halton at the end of L. Ontario on the QEW and C. Rd. 1, directly N across the bay from Hamilton.
- In 1669, explorer Rene Robert Cavelier, Sieur de LaSalle, left Montreal on the first of several voyages of exploration, seeking a passage to the Far East.
- He was accompanied by the Sulpician missionaries Francois Dollier de Casson and Rene Francois de Brehan de Galinee. They reached Burlington Bay, travelled inland for a time, and then returned to Montreal.
- The city grew from what started as Brant's Block, a tract of 3,450 acres (1,397 ha) given to Iroquois Chief Joseph Brant (Thayendanegea) by King George III for services during the American Revolutionary War.
- The first settler was August Bates, who arrived in 1800. In 1807 James Gage purchased 338 acres (136.89 ha) from Brant's widow and laid out a village site which he called Wellington Square, honouring the Duke of Wellington.
- In 1873 the hamlets of Wellington Square and Port Nelson amalgamated and became Burlington, believed to be a corruption of Bridlington, a resort town in Yorkshire, England.
- In 1954, William Breckon of Burlington became the first Ontario farmer to win the World Wheat Championship at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair with his Genesee grain.
- From Ontario Place Names 2007 David E. Scott Ph. 866 471 4123 or 905 680 7884
Map Below gives Canadian Geographical Names
Natural Resources Canada in the Region of Halton.
Address of this page:
Visitors to this page: 5,638
This record last updated: October 23, 2013
Off the beaten track:
Mountain Gardens, 2km
Glenwood Park, 3km
Brant Hills, 2km
Freeman, Burlington area, 4km
Fisher's Pond, 4km
Lake Medad, 6km
Progreston Pond, 12km
West Pond, 15km
Mill Pond, 17km
Crawford Lake, 15km
Carlisle Pond, 14km
McClures Lake, 14km
Kelso Lake, 19km
Campbellville Pond, 19km