223 St. Lawrence
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 995. In Montague T., Lanark C., and Wolford T., Leeds and Grenville Cs., on the RideauR. And C. Rds. 2,15,16&43, 66 km S of Ottawa.
- The first settler was William Merrick, a United Empire Loyalist of Welsh descent from Massachusetts, who arrived in 1794. Wood from his mill built the first frame structure in what is now Ottawa.
- The house in which Col. John By lived while supervising construction of the Rideau Canal between 1826 and 1832, still stands in the village, as does the 1832 blockhouse erected beside the canal.
- The first transportation in and out of Merrickville was manpower. Settler John McCrae carried up to 200 pounds (90.7 kg) of goods on his back on a two-day, 45-km hike to Brockville.
- The place was known as Mirrick’s Mills. Mirickville, Merricksville, and Meyrick Ville before the post office opened in 1829 as Merrickville.
- The first nursery and seed farm in Ontario was located just east of the village.
- In 1908, the Rev. Ernest Thomas organized one of Canada's first Boy Scout troops, after returning from a visit with Gen. Baden-Powell in England.
Natural Resources Canada in Leeds and Grenville County.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/merrickville