PO Box 10,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 306. In Camden T., Lennox and Addington Cs., on the Napanee R. and C. Rds. 1 & 4, 8 km NE of Napanee.
- Albert Williams, son of a United Empire Loyalist family, was one of the fIrst to settle in 1800. In 1818, Abel Scott built the fIrst sawmill and then sold the rights to Samuel Clark, who added a grist mill and a wool mill.
- The community then became known as Clark's Mills. The post office was established in 1832 as Camden.
- . In 1835 the name was changed to Camden East, after the township, which was organized in 1787 and named to honour Charles Pratt, Earl of Camden, Lord Chancellor of Great Britain in the late 1700s.
- Sir Gilbert Parker (1862-1932), a native of Camden East, was a journalist in Australia before moving to England in 1889.
- There he gained a considerable reputation as a writer of historical novels, many of which were set in French Canada. One of the best-known of his works is The Seats of the Mighty.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/camdeneast