36 Main St.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
- Pop. 435. On the S shore of Christian I., Simcoe C., in Georgian Bay offL. Huron near the entrance to Nottawasaga Bay, 20 km. NW of Midland and reached by a 5-km. ferry trip operated only in summer.
- In 1649 a few French missionaries and Hurons, who had survived the massacre at Ste. Marie (now Midland), sought refuge on the island and built another mission known as Fort Ste. Marie II.
- A severe winter, followed by a failure of their com crop, forced the missionaries and the First Nations Peoples to return to Quebec.
- In 1830 many of the First Nations Peoples in the county were gathered on a reserve in the Coldwater area.
- Within a few years, pressure from land-hungry settlers forced the government to move the First Nations Peoples, some of whom were resettled on Christian I., now a First Nations Peoples reserve.
- The outline of Fort Ste. Marie II still can be traced in stones.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/christianisland