10 Albert St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Kawartha and Northumberland
- Pop. 423. In Bexley and Somerville Ts., Victoria C., on the Gull R. and Hwy 35, and C. Rds. 42,43 & 48, 36 km. N of Lindsay.
- The first sawmill was built at the townsite in 1851, and lumbering played an important role in the development of the community.
- First Nations Peoples called the place Ko-ash-kob-a-cong, also spelled Quasb-qua-be-conk and meaning 'where the gulls nest' 'water falling over a smooth rock.'
- When the post office was established in 1859 the name was anglicized. In 1873 the village was the northern terminus of the narrow gauge Toronto and Nipissing Railway.
- Railway officials renamed the station Sbedden after company president John Shedden who was accidentally killed that year, but in 1881 the townspeople changed the name back to Coboconk.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/coboconk