34 King E.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Kawartha and Northumberland
- Pop. 1,876. In Cramahe T., Northumberland C., on Keeler's Cr. and C. Rds. 2 & 31, 40 km SW of Trenton.
- Settled in 1789 by Joseph Keeler, a United Empire Loyalist from Rutland, Vt. The first post office, established in 1820, was called Cramahe after the township.
- In 1829 the name was changed to Colborne, honouring Sir John Colborne, lieutenant-governor of Upper Canada 1828-1836. Old St. Andrew's Church is one of the oldest surviving Presbyterian churches in Ontario.
- It was built in the early 1830s. Renovations later altered the building's classical Georgian lines and gave it a distinctly Italianate character.
- Colborne is home to the world's largest apple, a structure 30 feet (9 m) high and 35 feet (11 m) in diameter made of 41 tons (42 tonnes) offoam and fibreglass over a metal frame.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/colborneontario