Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northeastern Ontario
- Pop. 250. Part of the City of Timmins, Cochrane Dist., on the S shore of Frederick House L. and Hwy 610,36 km. NE of Timmins.
- A few kms E of Conn aught is the hamlet of Barbers Bay where the Hudson's Bay Company established a trading post in 1785 called Frederick House after the second son of George III.
- The area was the scene of a massacre in the winter of 1812-13 when three company employees and a number of First Nations Peoples were murdered in a fIerce rivalry for precious furs.
- The post was abandoned m 1821. The post office was established in 1911 as Conn aught Station, and in 1949 the name was changed to Connaught.
- The precise origin of the name is not known, but the place is likely named after Prince Arthur, First Duke of Connaught, governor general of Canada 1911-1916.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/connaught