4164 Catherine St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 2,756. In North Dorchester T., Middlesex c., on the Thames R. and C. Rds. 9 & 32,justN ofHwy 401,15 km. E of London.
- William Reynolds is believed to have built Middlesex County's first log cabin in 1794 just west of here. A log tavern built in the 1820s was the first building on the townsite, fIrst called Edwardsburgh.
- The first post office in 1855 was named Dorchester Station, shortened to Dorchester in 1861. The place was named in honour of Sir Guy Carleton, Lord Dorchester, governor-in-chief of British North America, 1782-1783 and 1786-1796.
- Dorchester's Donnybrook Fields was the site on Oct. 15, 1925, of the fustpublic initiation into the Ku Klux Klan ever held in Canada. Both Klansmen and new members were masked in white, hooded robes.
- Hands on each other's shoulders, they circled the fIeld three times to the tune ofhynms played by a Klan band and then the new members (more than 100 residents of nearby London were reported to have joined) took the oath before an altar and flaming cross
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/dorchester