780 Ross Lane,
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 482. In Harwich T., Kent C., on L. Erie along a sand spit at the entrance to landlocked Rondeau Harbour and C. Rd. 12,21 km SE of Chatham.
- In 1793 Lt.-Gov. John Graves Simcoe envisaged the harbour's entrance as a possible site for border fortifications.
- He had his surveyors layout a townsite farther north at the present location of Shrewsbury. Simcoe's plans were abandoned, and Erieau did not come into existence until almost 100 years later.
- The name is a composite of Erie and the au from Rondeau. J. J. Ross, manager of the Erie and Huron Railway, also recognized the possibilities of the natural harbour.
- The railway was constructed as a lumber line in the 1880s to link L. Erie with L. Huron, and in 1886 Ross took the line across the marshland on the L. Erie shore to the sand strip at the harbour's entrance.
- With rail access to the fine beach, summer cottages were built and resort facilities flourished.
- Postcard above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/erieau