9589 Ipperwash Rd.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 2,849. In Warwick T., Lambton C., on Hwy 21 and C. Rd. 12,37 km NE of Sarnia.
- The community started with the completion of the Grand Trunk Railway line from Stratford to Sarnia in 1859.
- There had been scattered settlement in the area as far back as the 1840s, but the place became a pumping station for the railroad and was called Forest because of the heavy forest covering the area.
- A post office opened in 1862 as Forest, and the name remained even after the trees had been felled and the community became an agricultural centre.
- In 1888, when villagers sought town status, the community was just shy of the required population of2,000.
- To get around this technicality, it was arranged to have one of the Grand Trunk Railway passenger cars wait at the station for one hour -- just long enough to register the passengers and crew as residents of Forest.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/forest