13 Community Dr,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
- Pop. 443. In Culross T., Bruce C., on Stoney Cr. and C. Rd. 12, 10 km SW of Walkerton.
- Early settlers were all of German or Alsatian descent and of the Roman Catholic faith. John B. Kroetsch built the first sawmill in the 1850s.
- The place was first named Stoney Creek for a small creek running through a rocky bed. When a post office was opened, the residents applied for the name St. Marys, but another place of that name existed.
- The unlikely alternative was Formosa, a Portuguese word meaning 'majestic,' and the former name of what is now Taiwan.
- A brewery was founded in 1869, and the workers remained independent of trade unions through the 1950s and 1960s when major Ontario breweries were suffering long strikes.
- The resultant shortage of beer brought long lineups of thirsty customers to Formosa Springs Brewery, which then operated around the clock.
- In 1901 exploratory drilling for oil tapped into a gushing well from which pure, sparkling water still flows. Between 1875 and 1883 the huge, Gothic-styled Church of the Immaculate Conception was built.
- . It was designed by Joseph Connolly of Guelph and has fme stained glass windows and five decorative carvings.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/formosa