55 Jarvis St.,
Ontario Tourism Region : Niagara Falls and Wine Country
- Pop. 26,717. In the Reg. Mun. of Niagara on L. Erie at the head of the Niagara R., border terminus of the QEW and Hwy 3, the International Peace Bridge to Buffalo, NY, and the International Railway Bridge to Buffalo, 36 km. SE of Niagara Falls.
- Originally a military post built in 1764 by Capt. John Montresor, it saw heavy action in the War of 1812 when it was taken by the Americans under Gen. Winfield Scott.
- In attempting to recapture the fort, British Commander-in-Chief Sir Gordon Drummond lost 1,400 men in two attacks. When the Americans retreated later that year they blew up the fort.
- It was restored in the 1930s by the Niagara Parks Commission and is now staffed in summer by students in period dress. When the frrst post office was established in 1801, all mail was dispatched under guard.
- As it grew, Fort Erie assimilated communities named Victoria, Victoriaville, Waterloo, International Bridge, Amagari, Bridgeburg, and Little Africa, a black settlement. In 1970, Fort Erie annexed the village of Crystal Beach and Bertie Township.
Natural Resources Canada in the Region of Niagara.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/forterieontario