301 Scott St.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northwest Ontario
- Pop. 8,312. In Rainy River Dist. on the N bank of Rainy R. as it leaves Rainy L. and Hwy II across from International Falls, MN and 369 km. W of Thunder Bay.
- Fort Frances, named after the wife of Sir George Simpson, a governor of the Hudson's Bay Company who visited the fort in 1830, is the oldest continuous settlement west of L. Superior.
- Jacques de Noyon, an explorer, fur trader, and soldier, explored the Kaministiquia route to the Lake of the Woods in 1688 and was probably the first European to travel through the area.
- The first settlement was Fort St. Pierre, built in 1731 by Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, Sieur de la Verendrye, at Pither's Point, 3 km. E of the present townsite.
- The fort was an important trading post, as it was the farthest point to which canoes could travel from Montreal and still return before freeze-up.
- It was occupied by six different trading companies before the Hudson's Bay Company took it over in 1821. In 1878 a canal was built linking Rainy L. to Lake of the Woods.
- The post office, opened in 1876, had the distinction of being in three areas: frrst, the Northwest Territories; then when the boundary changed, in Keewatin; and after another boundary change, Ontario.
- The original fort, destroyed by fire in 1902, has been partially rebuilt as a tourist attraction. The highest recorded temperature in Ontario was 42.2 degrees Celsius (108 F.) in Fort Frances and Atikokan on July 11,12 and 13 in 1936.
Natural Resources Canada in the District of Rainy River.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/fortfrances