33 Water St. N.
Ontario Tourism Region : Huron, Perth, Waterloo and Wellington
- 48,205. Part of the City of Cambridge in the Reg. Mun. of Waterloo on the Grand R. and Hwys 8 & 24, 14 km. SE of Kitchener.
- The former city of Galt, originally called Shade's Mills, had its beginnings when Scottish merchant William Dickson bought 92,000 acres (37,260 ha) ofland including the confluence of Mill Cr. and the Grand R. Dickson commissioned Pennsylvania carpenter
- Absalom Shade to develop a settlement at the site.
- When the post office opened in 1825 it was called Galt to honour John Galt, a friend of Dickson and a commissioner of the Canada Company.
- The Galt Grammar School, familiarly known as 'Tassie's,' gained widespread recognition for its high academic standards under William Tassie, who was headmaster 1853-1881.
- The school was among the first in the province to be made a collegiate institute. At the 1904 Olympics in St. Louis, a soccer team from Galt defeated the St. Rose team of St. Louis, 4-0, to win the gold medal.
- (See entries under Cambridge, Hespeler, Preston.)
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/galt