117 17 Church E.
Ontario Tourism Region : Ontario's Highlands
- Pop. 8,969. In South Elmsley T., Leeds and Grenville Cs., and North Elmsley T., Lanark C., on the Rideau R. at the E end of Rideau L. and Hwy 15 and C. Rds. 4, 29, & 43, 83 km. SW of Ottawa.
- Although the spelling has been changed, the community is named after Maj. Thomas Smythe, a United Empire Loyalist who received a Crown grant ofland in 1784 and built a sawmill on a series of falls in the Rideau R.
- Smythe then mortgaged his holdings, failed to meet his financial obligations, and the land was bought in 1825 by Abel Ward.
- Ward is considered to be the founder of the town, which for a time was called Wardsville The name was later changed to Smythe's Falls and then modified to Smith's Falls, the apostrophe courtesy of a clerk in Toronto.
- Locals ignored the apostrophe and in 1968, by an act of the Ontario legislature, it was removed from the name. Smiths Falls was the first town in Ontario to have a government-approved plan for the development and expansion of its boundaries.
- The town is divided into four district wards -- residential, commercial, light manufacturing, and heavy industry areas.
Natural Resources Canada in Lanark County.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/smithsfalls