PO Box # 70,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Kawartha and Northumberland
- Pop. 320. In Hamilton T., Northumberland C., on the S shore of Rice L. and C. Rd. 18, 16 km NW of Cobourg.
- Permanent settlement began in the area in the 1840s and the community enjoyed a boom when it became the northern terminus of a plank road from Cobourg to Rice L., completed in 1848.
- F. W. Barron Boys' School was opened by a former headmaster of Upper Canada College. In St. George's Anglican Church, which replaced an earlier church in 1908, is a battle flag used at Admiral Nelson's victory at Trafalgar in 1805.
- Before 1848 the community was known as Claverton but was usually called Tidy's Tavern for David Tidy, who operated a tavern here.
- When the post office was established in 1848, it was named Gore's Landing after Thomas S. Gore, a British navy captain who owned land in the area in 1845.
View Larger Map
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/goreslanding