436 Ferguson Ave
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northeastern Ontario
- Pop.4,545. In Bucke T., Timiskaming Dist., on the W shore of L. Timiskaming and Hwys lIB & 558, 8 km N of Cobalt.
- The Hudson's Bay Company established a post near the townsite in 1873.
- . In 1885, C. C. Farr, a chief agent of the company, was commissioned to define the Ontario-Quebec border between the head of L. Timiskaming and James Bay.
- Farr was so struck by the beauty of a birch and poplar grove on the lakeshore that he bought the land from a man named Louis Sirouin.
- The Ojibwa name for the place was Matabanick, meaning 'the place where the trail comes out.'
- Farr built a log cabin on his land in 1887, and as a settlement grew, he named it Haileybury after the exclusive public school he had attended in Hertfordshire, England.
- In 1926, former newspaperman Leslie McFarlane saw an ad for an 'experienced fiction writer' being sought by the Stratemeyer Syndicate of New Jersey.
- He wrote a couple of DaVe Fearless books for the syndicate under the pseudonym Roy Rockwood at $100 per book, with no royalties.
- Stratmeyer then invited him to start a new series he'd conceived called The Hardy Boys. From outlines and plots provided by Stratemeyer he wrote the first twenty or so books through the 1930s and ' 40s under the pen name Franklin W. Dixon.
- He claimed it wasn't until the 1940s that he learned the Hardy Boys were the best-selling boys books in the world -- and from which he received no royalties.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/haileyburyontario