284 Main St. E.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Ottawa and Countryside
- Pop. 10,266. In West Hawkesbury T., Prescott and Russell Cs., on the Ottawa R. and C. Rds. 4 & 24, 94 km NE of Ottawa, linked to Grenville, QC., by highway and railroad bridges.
- Nathaniel Treadwell opened the area -- first known as Le Chenal-- for settlement in the 1790s, and Thomas Mears was the first to settle. In 1804 he bought two islands in the Ottawa R. from Treadwell and built a dam and grist mill.
- The narrow channel was called Chenaille Ecarte (lost channel) by French-Canadian settlers, a name corrupted by the English to Snye Carty. The place eventually became known as The Snye.
- In 1807, during the Napoleonic War, when the ports of Europe were closed to Britain, two Irish brothers named Hamilton came to the area and set up a sawmill and lumber exporting business.
- They soon had four mills and the largest lumber business in Canada. The place became known as Hamilton's Mills. The post office opened in 1819 as Hawkesbury after Charles Jenkinson, Lord Hawkesbury (1727-1808.)
Natural Resources Canada in Prescott and Russell United Counties.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/hawkesburyontario