Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northwest Ontario
- Pop. 2,499. In Ignace T., Kenora Dist., on the N shore of Agimak L. and Hwy 17, 107 km SE of Dryden.
- The place was first recorded by Sir Sandford Fleming as a station on the proposed route of the CPR's transcontinental line. It was named by the railway builder after his guide, Ignace Mentour, who led a cross-Canada survey expedition in 1872.
- The first house was built in 1875. First Nations Peoples settled around it to provide services for surveyors and railroad workers. The first European settler was Albert McGillie in 1879.
- The area's first mining patent was granted to Capt. S. V. Halstead in 1889. He established the Maple Leaf Gold Mining Co. and opened the Black Fox Mine.
- The gold rush of the 1890s brought many prospectors, and Ignace became headquarters for the U.S. Gold Mining Company. At one time, a large settlement of railway boxcars nearby was nicknamed Little England because of its many English residents.
- On White Otter L., 25 km S (by boat or float plane) is a four-story log 'castle' built single handedly of one-ton (1.016 tonne) logs by diminutive James Alexander McQuat.
- How he managed to erect the structure between 1903, when he was 57, and 1912, baffles today's engineers.
Natural Resources Canada in the District of Kenora.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/ignace