36 Charles St. W.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 10,000. In North Oxford and West Oxford Ts., Oxford C., on the Thames R. and Hwy 19 and C. Rd. 9, 32 km E of London.
- The town is named after Maj. Thomas Ingersoll, a member of a wealthy Massachusetts family, who brought settlers to the Niagara Peninsula in 1793 after being promised 80,000 acres (32,400 ha) of land.
- The British government revoked its promise, and Ingersoll settled instead on the Thames R. trail where First Nations Peoples used to cross to Brantford to see their chief, Joseph Brant.
- The community was first known as Oxford-Upon-The-Thames and later as Ingersollville.
- In 1822 the post office opened as Oxford. In 1852 the name was changed to Ingersoll. The major's eldest daughter, Laura, married United Empire Loyalist James Secord, a sergeant in the First Lincoln Militia.
- During the War of 1812, Laura Secord walked 32 km through the bush from her home at Queenston to warn the British commander of an impending American attack.
- Major Ingersoll left the area in 1805 to settle at what is now Oakville near Toronto, but his son Charles returned in 1817 and laid out the townsite. In 1857 a great hoax was pulled here.
- Rumours of an alligator-like creature in the village pond drew 10,000 people to watch attempts to capture it. Supervising the operation was an eminent scientist from the United States, whose airs alienated the locals.
- There was great dehght when he finally caught the monster -- the stuffed carcass of a cow!
- In 1866 Ingersoll cheese producers manufactured a 7,300-pound (3,311 kg) cheese. It was 21 feet (6.4 m) in circumference and was exhibited at the New York State Fair and in London, England.
Natural Resources Canada in the County of Oxford.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/ingersollontario