261 Durham St.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
- Pop. 451. In Bruce T.,Bruce c., on L. Huron at the mouth of the Little Sauble R. and C. Rd. 15, 15 km. NE of Kincardine.
- The townsite was laid out in 1851, and the first settler in 1852 was William Gunn from Glasgow. The place was named Inverhuron from the Gaelic word inver meaning 'confluence,' because the settlement was on L. Huron at the mouth of the Little Sauble R.
- Because of its fine harbour it soon became a port for lake steamers and a trans-shipment port for grain, bark, cordwood, and lumber.
- In 1882 fire destroyed three warehouses filled with 30,000 bushels (10,920 hl) of grain and the town never regained its commercial importance.
- The community is just south of Inverhuron Provincial Park. Immediately north of the park is the Douglas Point Nuclear Power Station and the heavy water plant of the Atomic Energy Commission of Canada.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/inverhuron