117 17 Church E.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Ontario's Highlands
- Pop. 209. In Kitley T., Leeds and Grenville Cs., on Irish Cr. and C. Rds. 16 & 17, 45 km NW of Brockville.
- In 1806 a Mr. Haskins built a grist mill in the tiny settlement then called Albune. In 1820 Gideon Olmstead bought the mill, and the community became known as Olmstead's Mills.
- In 1830, const¬ruction of the Rideau Canal raised the water level in Irish Cr. and destroyed the waterfall, which had supplied power for the mill.
- That closed the mill but allowed Irish Cr. to be used for rafting timber. The community became known as Irish Creek and took that name when the post office was established in 1861.
- When the Brockville and Ottawa Railway was built from Brockville to Smiths Falls in 1859, railway officials complained that the name Irish Creek sounded 'petty.'
- They urged residents to come up with another name. In 1864 the post office was renamed Jasper, the name chosen by residents from a list provided by the post office.
- In the 1860s Jasper was the closest community of any size to the hamlet of Plum Hollow where people from far and wide sought to learn their fortunes from the 'Witch of Plum Hollow.'
- The 'witch' was Mrs. Elizabeth Barnes, who had been born in County Cork, Ireland. She was described as 'a good and kind woman' and was well respected.
- She had been left to raise a family of nine and, because she had a highly developed sense of prophecy, turned to fortune telling.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/jasper