70 Front St.
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 42,697 (2006) . In Sidney T., Hastings C., on the Bay of Quinte off L. Ontario at the mouth of the Trent R. and Trent Canal, which links the Bay of Quinte with Georgian Bay and C. Rds. 2 & 33, 4 km S of Hwy 401, 18 km SW of Belleville.
- Settlement began in 1790 as United Empire Loyalists took up their land grants.
- John Strachan, the first Anglican Bishop of York (now Toronto) owned a tract of land in the area and in 1829 laid out lots on a site he called Annwood for his wife's maiden name, Ann Wood.
- Annwood eventually merged with Trenton, which was first known as River Trent, Port Trent, Trent Port, and finally, in 1853, Trenton.
- In 1910 fire destroyed the Gilmour Sash and Door Factory, and in 1918 the British Chemical Company ammunition plant was destroyed by fire and the resultant explosions.
- No lives were lost, and eight Trentonians who remained at vital posts in the danger zone throughout the night of explosions were later awarded Order of the British Empire medals.
- In 1919 Trenton briefly became the Hollywood of Canada when the government produced a number of films here.
- The experiment was short-lived, and the only reminder today of that era is a street called Film Street.
- When the Depression hit Trenton in the 1930s, the influential Sel William Alexander Fraser managed to have the town chosen as the home of th Royal Canadian Air Force.
- An enormous building program followed, and during the Second World War the station served as the Commonwealth Air Training Base and is still in operation as Canadian Forces Base Trenton
- Postcards above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural Resources Canada in Hastings County.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/quintewest