201 Broad St. E.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 11,781. In the Reg. Mun. of Hal dim and-Norfolk, on the Grand R. 6 km. from its mouth at L. Erie and Hwy 3 and C. Rd. 3 & II, 31 kIn W of WeIland.
- The place was settled by Solomon Minor in 1825. In 1829 the WeIland Canal Company constructed a feeder canal from Dunnville to the WeIland Canal.
- The company offered perpetual exemption from water rent to the first manu-facturing enterprise that was operational when the canal was completed. Oliver Phelps began building a mill at Dunnville while a Mr. Keefer did the same at Thorold.
- Keefer's building was completed first, but Phelps had installed the machinery before a roof was put on, so when water was let into the canal, he was able to grind a bushel of wheat before water reached Keefer's mill.
- Phelps had won, but the canal company extended free water privileges to Keefer as well.
- . The post office opened in 1830, and the place was named after Hon. John Henry Dunn, receiver general of Upper Canada and president of the WeIland Canal Company.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/dunnville