Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 342. In Moore T., Lambton C., on the St. Clair R. and St. Clair Parkway, 20 km S of Sarnia.
- When surveyor Mablon Burwell interviewed the inhabitants of the township in 1826 to establish land claims they had negotiated with the First Nations Peoples, he found 15 French-speaking and five English speaking families located along the St. Clair R.
- John Courtney, one of the English residents, claimed to have been on his land since 1804. The First Nations Peoples gave up their claim to Moore T. in 1827, and a reserve was set up for them along the Sombra border, purchased by the Crown in 1843.
- The T. of Moore was named by Sir John Colborne in 1829 to honour Sir John Moore, the British general killed in Spain in 1809 at the Battle of Corunna.
- The survey of the township was completed in 1829 by Roswell Mount, who squeezed as many lots along the St. Clair R. as possible, many of which were given to veterans of the Napoleonic Wars.
- Mooretown was the oldest settlement along the river and headquarters for the Mooretown Mounted Infantry, which saw action along the river during the Fenian Raids, 1866-1870.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/mooretown