9 First St.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northeastern Ontario
- Pop. 1,939. In Cochrane Dist., on the W bank of the Moose R., 20 km from its mouth in James Bay and the N terminus of the Ontario Northland Railway, 300 km N of Cochrane.
- Moosonee is Ontario's only tidal port. In 1631-1632 Thomas James explored the waters of Hudson and James Bays and success¬fully wintered his crew on nearby Charlton I.
- His vivid account of the winter of hardships discouraged further exploration of the area for almost a century.
- The community was founded in 1903 when the Revillon Freres Trading Company of France established a post to compete with the Hudson's Bay Company, which has had a post at nearby Moose Factory on Moose (or Factory) Island since 1672.
- The rail line was completed to Moosonee in 1932, and the post office was established in the same year as Moosonee, which the French called 'home of the moose.'
Natural Resources Canada in the District of Cochrane.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/moosoneeontario