60 Main St. W.
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
- Pop. 20,300. Regional town, 36 km. SW of Barrie, created in 1992 by the amalgamation of the town of Alliston, villages of Beeton and Tottenham and the township of Tecumseth.
- The 'New' was added to distin¬guish the town from Tecumseh in Essex C., near Windsor. During the War of 1812, Shawnee Chief Tecumseth became one of the most heroic figures in Canadian history, fighting on the side of the British in many battles.
- He was allied with Gen. Proctor, commander of the British forces, who ordered a retreat up the Thames R. from near present-day Chatham in the face of strong American forces.
- Tecumseth urged Proctor to stay and fight at the junction of the Thames and McGregors Cr., but Proctor withdrew, leaving Tecumseth and his warriors to fight at a nearby swamp called Moraviantown.
- Tecumseth was killed, and Proctor was court martialled and publicly reprimanded.
Natural Resources Canada in Simcoe County.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/newtecumseth