PO Box # 103,
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 218. In Augusta T., Leeds and Grenville Cs., on Kemptville Cr. and C. Rds. 6 & 15, 24 km NW of Brockville.
- The place was founded in 1811 and in the 1820s known as Bellamy's Mills and Bellamyville after brothers Edward, Samuel, Chauncey, and Hiram Bellamy who took over a sawmill owned by the original Loyalist settler, Daniel Dunham.
- The brothers added a grist mill, distillery, potashery, and general store. Another early settler was tanner Aaron B. Pardee, who was a prominent figure in the Sons of Temperance movement and to whose memory a monument stands in the local Presbyterian c
- Ironically, he was a cousin of the Bellamy brothers whose enterprises included a distillery. The divisions within the Methodist Church before Church Union in 1884 were clearly visible within the small community.
- In 1871, when the population totalled 400, there were three Methodist churches: the Wesleyan Methodist, the Episcopal Methodist, and the New Connection Methodist.
- When the post office opened in 1840, the community took the name of the T. in which it was located.
Natural Resources Canada in Leeds and Grenville County.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/northaugusta