Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northeastern Ontario
- Pop. 55,204. In Nipissing Dist. at the NE end of L. Nipissing and Hwys 11, 17, & 63, 125 km E of Sudbury.
- The city's site is on the old Nipissing passageway, part of the northern route travelled by fur traders. Etienne Brule visited in 1610 and Samuel de Champlain in 1615, and trading posts were established.
- Permanent settlement didn't start until the CPR arrived in 1882 and then it carried on with a vengeance; within 43 years North Bay was incorporated as a city.
- Early settler John Ferguson is credited with unwittingly giving the place its name when he ordered building materials from Pembroke and asked that they be shipped to him at the north bay (ofL. Nipissing).
- North Bay calls itself'Gateway to the North.'
Natural Resources Canada in Nipissing District.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/northbay