47 Simcoe St. S.
Ontario Tourism Region : York, Durham and Hills of Headwaters
- Pop. 131,952. City in the Reg. Mun. of Durham, on L. Ontario at the mouth of Os haw a Cr., Hwy 401 and C. Rd. 2, 51 km E of Toronto.
- The first settler arrived in 1791. After Edward Skea opened a store in 1835, the place became known as Skea's Corners. The first dock was built in 1840. When the post office was established in 1842 a meeting was held to determine a name.
- Several First Nations Peoples from L. Scugog were in town trading their furs and attended the meeting. They suggested the name Oshawa, which means 'where the canoe is exchanged for the trail.'
- As the community grew it gradually absorbed surrounding settlements including Gibbs Mills, Skea's Corners, Kedron, Cedarvale, Oshawa Port, Port Oshawa, Oshawa Junction, and Cedar Brae.
- In 1878, Robert McLaughlin and his two sons moved their carriage company from nearby Enniskillen to Oshawa, expanding it into the largest carriage works in the British Empire.
- When the factory burned in 1899, the Town of Oshawa gave the company an interest-free loan of $50,000 because more than 600 residents were employed by the carriage works.
- As the motor car became popular, the McLaughlins moved with the times, producing their fIrst McLaughlin-Buick motor car in 1907. The company evolved as General Motors of Canada Ltd. and Oshawa acquired the nickname 'The Motor City:'
- Visitors come to Oshawa today to see Parkwood (the estate of the late Col. McLaughlin), the Canadian Automotive Museum, and Winfields Farm, one of Canada's premier stud farms.
- Oshawa native Gordon D. Conant (1885-1953) was Ontario's 12th premier, serving 1942-43.
Natural Resources Canada in the Durham Region.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/oshawa