397 Queen S.
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
- Pop. 1,040. In Elderslie T., Bruce C., on the Saugeen R. at the confluence of the Teeswater and Lockerby Rs. and Willow Cr. and C. Rds. 1,3, & 11, 23 km NW of Walkertown.
- In the spring of 1851, Simon Orchard built a cedar raft at Walkerton, loaded his family and personal effects on it, and floated down the Saugeen R. in search of a new homestead. The first night they stopped at what is now Paisley and decided to settle.
- Three weeks later Orchard was joined by his brother-in-law, Samuel Rowe, who built the first tavern.
- The place was first called Mud River, the original name of the Teeswater R.
- When the post office was established in 1872 it was named Paisley after the town in Renfrewshire, (now Strathclyde) near Glasgow, Scotland, an area from which many of the settlers had emigrated.
- Because there are six bridges inside its boundaries and three more nearby, Paisley is nicknamed the 'Village of Bridges.'
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/paisleyontario