155 Mac Farlane St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Ontario's Highlands
- Pop. 306. In Pakenham T., Lanark C., on the Mississippi R. and C. Rds. 20 & 29,15 km SE of Arnprior.
- John Powell and Robert Harvey settled in 1823. They built a log cabin and a grist mill on the riverbank, calling the site Little Falls. Because of the mill, the place was soon called Harvey's Mills.
- In 1831 Andrew Dickson arrived and bought a mill and for a time the community was called Dickson's Mills. The post office was established in 1832 and called Pakenham Mills, taking its name from the township.
- Packenham T. honours Gen. Sir Edward M. Pakenham, brother-in-law of the Duke of Wellington, who was killed in 1815 at the Battle of New Orleans. In 1856 The 'Mills' was dropped from the name.
- A limestone bridge across a series of rapids in the Mississippi R., built here at the turn of the century, is believed to be the only five-span stone bridge in North America.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/packenham