36 Main St.
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
- Pop. 7,730. In Tiny and Tay Ts., Simcoe C., on Penetang Harbour off Georgian Bay and Hwy 93 and C. Rd. 26, 53 km. NW of Barrie.
- In the 1600s the place was the site of an Ojibwa encampment named Wenrio and later another First Nations Peoples settlement named Ihonatiria.
- In 1793 Lt.-Gov. John Graves Simcoe chose the place as a naval headquarters and military post, which was active during the War of 1812.
- The fort garrisoned that year was Fort Penetanguishene, a First Nations Peoples name meaning 'white rolling sand.' The first civilian home was built by Dedin Revolte in 1828.
- The property once occupied by the fort is now a provincial jail for the criminally insane St. James-on-the-Lines Anglican Church, built to serve the personnel of the fort is still in use.
- Its name derives from the line, or communications road, from Toronto to Penetanguishene. The church has a wide central aisle to permit soldiers to march in, four abreast.
- The pews are all different, their construction having been assigned to different men of the garrison. In common usage, Penetanguishene is often shortened to Penetang.
- Postcards above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural Resources Canada in Simcoe County.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/penetanguishene