Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 4,792. In Enniskillen T., Lambton C., on Bear Cr., a tributary of the Sydenham R. and C. Rd. 20,1 km. W of C. Rd. 21, 26 km. SE of Samia.
- Samuel Eveland was the first settler, in 1861. In that year oil was discovered both at Petrolia. and Oil Springs, but developers were drawn first to Oil Springs.
- When production slowed at Oil Springs by about 1866, developers came to Petrolia and the community boomed.
- Fifteen wells were pumping and 100 drilling rigs were operating, burning. 50,000 cords of wood a year. In the 1880s Imperial Oil was organized and it built the largest oil refinery in Canada.
- The place was first called Eniskillen after the township and then Durance after Daniel Durance the first postmaster, in 1858. The following year the name was changed by the new postmaster Patrick Barclay to Petrolea, the name derived from petroleum.
- The spelling Petrolia, by which the community is now known, was originally a clerica error, which postal authorities accepted as correct in 1906.
Natural Resources Canada in the County of Lambton.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/petroliaontario