1740 Kingston Rd.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : York, Durham and Hills of Headwaters
- Pop. 3,350. In the Town of Pickering, Reg. Mun. of Durham, on Duffin's Cr., 5 km from Pickering Harbour and C. Rd. 2, 35 km E. of Toronto.
- Augustus Jones surveyed the area in 1791 and found it abundant in gamee and fish. He named the creek after Duffin, an early Irish pioneer who disappeared in mysterious circumstances.
- Bloodstained boards in Duffin's cabit suggested that he had been murdered, but no evidence of that was ever found. The first settler was William Peak in about 1799, and others followed in 1801 and 1802.
- Most had army connections and were therefore entitled to land grants. The place was called Canton until the post office opened in 1829 as Pickering after Pickering in North Yorkshire, England. In 1900 the word 'Village' was added.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/pickeringvillage