249 Raglan St. S.
Ontario Tourism Region : Ontario's Highlands
- Pop. 7,642. In Horton T., Renfrew C., on the second chute of the Bonnechere R., 14 km. from the Ottawa Rand Hwys 60 & 132, 34 km. W. of Amprior.
- A squatter named Coyle spent a season at the site in 1820, but Renfrew's founder was a Dutch French-Canadian named Joseph Brunette, who arrived in 1823.
- The settlement was originally known as Second Chute, as it was one of four sets of chutes into the river used for lumbering. By 1840, retired fur trader John McDougall had established the first store.
- When the community needed a bridge and hesitated to raise the tax rate, McDougall, as magistrate, sentenced a band of river men, who had been convicted of raiding homesteads, to hard labour building a bridge.
- When the post office opened in 1848 the settlers named their community Renfrew after the town and shire in Scotland, an ancestral seat of the Royal Stuarts.
Natural Resources Canada in Renfrew County.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/renfrewontario