Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Muskoka, Parry Sound and Algonquin Park
- Pop. 284. In Humphrey T., Parry Sound Dist., on the N shore of L. Rosseau and Hwys 141 & 632 and C. Rd. 3, 37 km. SE of Parry Sound.
- In 1861 a survey party for the proposed Parry Sound Road set up a camp at the site of what is now the community of Rosseau.
- When the road was completed in 1867 it passed through the camp.
- A settlement began to develop, particularly after locks were built between L. Rosseau and L. Muskoka in 1871, making Rosseau the northwest terminus of the steamship route from Gravenhurst on L. Muskoka.
- In the 1860s the Muskoka lakes began to draw tourists from the south and American entrepreneur W. H. Pratt built a large and well-appointed hunting and fishing lodge on the shore at Rosseau.
- Named Rosseau House, but known as Pratt's, it was regarded as the finest hotel in the Muskokas. It burned down in 1883.
- The lake, river, and community all take their name from early fur trader Jean-Baptiste Rousseau. When the post office was established in 1866, the first 'u' was dropped from the name.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/rosseau