108 2nd St. W.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 859. In Cornwall T., Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry Cs., on the Raisin R. and Hwy 138 and C. Rd. 18, 10 km. NW of Cornwall.
- Most of the early settlers in the 1780s were from Scotland, and they named their community after Scotland's patron saint. The post office was called St. Andrews West in 1830 to differentiate it from St. Andrews East in Quebec.
- One of the first Roman Catholic churches in Upper Canada was built at St. Andrews in 1801. St. Andrew's Church is the oldest remaining stone structure in the province erected as a church.
- In the War of 1812 it was used as a hospital.
- In the graveyard are the tombstones of Hon. John Sandfield Macdonald, a prime minister of Canada and the fIrst premier of Ontario, and Simon Fraser, a fur trader and explorer who died in 1862.
- Fraser joined the North West Company in 1792 and for 12 years was in charge of all operations west of the Rocky Mountains.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/standrewswestontario