Ontario Tourism Region : Hamilton, Halton, and Brant
- Pop. 1,901. In South Dumfries T., Brant C., on C. Rds. 5 & 13, 16 km. N of Brantford. Obed Wilson built the community's first house in 1814, although Peter Bauslaugh is credited with being the founder.
- The first postmaster was Col. George Stanton, after whom the village was named St. George Brant III 1835. The community was also known as St. George West, St. George Halton, and St. George Canada West.
- Just west of town is the birthplace and childhood home of Adelaide Hunter-Hoodless, who established domestic science courses in the public school system and founded the Women's Institute movement, the YWCA, and the Victorian Order of Nurses.
- The homestead is now a museum, which contains furnishings and personal belongings of the Hunter and Hoodless families that reflect the period when Adelaide lived here (1850-1880).
- The Hon. Harry C., Nixon (1891-1961) served the Ontario legislature for 42 years ina variety of posts. In 1943 he served briefly as premier of Ontario.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/stgeorge