27 Wellington St. Shrewsbury ON
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- From Chatham, south on Communication road, to Blenheim through the lights. Turn left, (south) on Chatham St. (Hwy #3) and drive 4km South. Where Hwy #3 bends East head strait onto Communication Rd. Yield at the traffic merge. Drive south 4km.
- We're always OPEN
- Pop. 630. In Harwich T., Municipality of Chatham-Kent., on the N shore of Rondeau Harbour and C. Rd. 11,30 km SE of Chatham.
- In 1792, Governor, Simcoe declared all of Rondeau as “ordinance land” which reserved the waters and peninsula for federal naval purposes. Shrewsbury was surveyed as a future naval base.
- 'Rond eau' translates from French as 'round water' and describes the egg-shaped harbour.
- In 1797 it was named after the head of the Talbot clan, the Earl of Shrewsbury in England.
- In the mid 1800's Shrewsbury was a safe haven for escaped slaves who re-established the abandoned port town.
- In 1857, a grand plan was drawn to run a canal from Shrewsbury to the Thames River just below Chatham. This would bring commerce and reduce shipping times in Lake Erie and the Thames. After much bickering , the canal proposal was rejected!
- An 1879 map shows Rondeau Harbour as the post office name and Shrewsbury as the name of the community.
- Today, Shrewsbury is a destination for young families, buying their first home and many retirees, looking to live away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
- Shrewsbury has a free boat ramp and dock at the end of Brock Street.
- The main draws to Shrewsbury are fishing, duck hunting, birding and nature tourism, Wind surfers occasionally launch from the dock.
- And of course boating, including canoeing, kayaking and eco-tours.
- Community Center with 4 acres of land is owned and managed by the Shrewsbury and Raglan Assembly.
- The Center and grounds are available for rental and community activities.
- Shrewsbury Maple Syrup Festival, late March every year
- Shrewsbury Ribs and Blues, Late July every year
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/shrewsbury