Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northwest Ontario
- 4,757. In Drayton T., Kenora Dist., on Minnitaki L. and Hwys 72,516, & 642, 67 km. NE of Dinorwic on Hwy 17, which is 28 km. SE of Dryden.
- In 1784 Edward Umfreville was commissioned by the North West Company to find an alternative to the traditional canoe route to the west, which passed through American-held territory.
- Umfreville made his way up the Nipigon R. and west through a web of rivers to present-day Manitoba, passing the site of present-day Sioux Lookout en route.
- First Nations Peoples knew the place as Na Di Is Si Wag and settlers first called it Knowlton. The post office opened as Graham in 1911, named after George P. Graham, federal minister of railways and canals.
- Two years later the name was changed to Sioux Lookout.
- The place takes its name from a hill just west of the townsite, where Ojibwa Indians watched for their enemy, the Sioux, and killed a raiding party in the late 1700s or early 1800s.
Natural Resources Canada in the District of Kenora.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/siouxlookout