76 Main St.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northeastern Ontario
- Pop. 4,219. Part of the City of Timmins, Cochrane Dist. on the S shore of Porcupine L. and Hwy 101, 9 km E of Timmins.
- The community of Porcupine is 3 km distant on the north shore of the lake which was named in 1907 after an island in it shaped like a porcupine.
- The first prospectors arrived in 1906, before the gold rush of 1909, which opened up the area. In 1911 South Porcupine and Schumacher were incorporated to form the T. of Tisdale, and in the same year a forest fire destroyed the community.
- The loss of life was nevel precisely determined but was officially listed as 73. Hundreds spent the night of the fire in the lake, and many were drowned.
- In the 50 years following Benny Hollinger's 1909 discovery of gold quartz in the Porcupine area, more than 45,000 claims were staked. In 1958 the Porcupine camp produced more gold than any other mining region in the Western Hemisphere.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/southporcupine