Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
- Pop. 3,598. In Nottawasaga T., Simcoe C., on Hwy 26 and C. Rds. 42 & 91,39 km W of Barrie.
- The settlement was first known as Warrington, but when the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron Railway (later Northern Railway) came through in 1854, railway officials named the station Nottawasaga after the township, and residents used that name.
- A few years later the town was renamed Dingwall, but in 1864 the village and the post office took the name Stayner to honour Sutherland Stayner, a local property owner.
- In the 1880s a rumour circulated that Simcoe C., due to its large size, was planning to set up two county towns.
- Stayner, in an ideal position to be chosen the northern town, prevailed upon the Ontario legislature, which in 1888 authorized incorporation of the Town of Stayner.
- Stayner then became the smallest town in Ontario, a distinction it maintained until 1994 when it was amalgamated with the village of Creemore and Nottawasaga and Sunnidale Ts. to form the municipal township of Clearview.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/stayner