Hwy # 11,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northeastern Ontario
- Pop. 277. In Taylor T., Nipissing Dist., .5 km. E of Hwy 11, 18 km SE of Iroquois Falls. The post office was established as Nushka Station in 1911.
- In 1916 the community was destroyed by the huge forest fire that also wiped out Porquis Junction, Iroquois Falls, Kelso, Matheson, and Ramore.
- Residents rebuilt their town, and when the post office was re-established in 1920, they renamed the community Val Gagne.
- In 1921 the local station of the Timiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway, which had been called Nushka Station, was renamed Val Gagne Station.
- The name was suggested by Fr. Charles-Eugene Theriault of Timmins after Fr. Wilfred Gagne who had died at Matheson during the great fire.
Address of this page: http://www.ruralroutes.com/valgagne